Gregory Eddi Jones (b. 1986, Syracuse, NY) is an American artist, writer, and publisher who lives and works in Philadelphia, PA. He holds a BFA from Rochester Institute of Technology (2010) and an MFA from Visual Studies Workshop (2016).
Jones' work explores the politics of common cultural images through the mechanisms of digital and internet-based tools. Much of his practice is defined by appropriation and re-authorship as a vehicle for visual criticism. He has exhibited work in London, New York, Amsterdam, Paris, Beijing, Melbourne, Beverly Hills, Philadelphia, Santa Fe, Denver, and Rochester, NY.
Jones' first book, Another Twenty-Six Gas Stations, was self-published in October, 2014 and has gone on to be acquired by over two dozen institutional artists' book and photobook collections, including libraries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, RISD, MassArt, MICA and Columbia University. The title was also included in two iterations of the exhibition Ed Ruscha: Books & Co, at Gagosian Gallery Paris and Beverly Hills, respectively,
Most recently, Jones was named a 2018/19 FOAM Talent for his series Flowers for donald. The accompanying exhibition will be shown in Amsterdam, New York, London, and Frankfurt in 2019. The series was published as a limited edition artists' book in spring of 2018 by Urbanautica Institute, and was self-published in an expanded 2nd edition in December 2018.
Jones is the founding editor of In the In-Between: Journal of New and New Media Photography, an independent publishing platform that highlights and supports noteworthy, forward-thinking 21st-century photographic authors and authorship.
- 2019. Foam Talent, Deutsche Börse AG, The Cube, Eschborn- Frankfurt, Germany
- 2019. Foam Talent, Beaconsfield Gallery. London, United Kingdom.
- 2019. Foam Talent, Red Hook Labs. Brooklyn, NY
- 2019. Delerium: 3 Visions, Redline Contemporary. Denver, CO
- 2019. Foam Talent, Foam Next Door. Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 2018. Currents 2018, New Media Festival. Santa Fe, NM.
- 2017. Year in Reverse. Humble Arts Foundation. Online Exhibition
- 2017. Alternative Facts. Humble Arts Foundation. Online Exhibition
- 2016. Ed Ruscha Books & Co. Gagosian Gallery. Beverly Hills, CA
- 2016. Ink and Paper. Main Street Arts Gallery. Clifton Springs, NY
- 2015. Ed Ruscha Books & Co. Gagosian Gallery. Paris, France
- 2013. Embedded. Strange Neighbour Gallery. Melbourne, Australia
- 2013. Dazibao. The Organ House. Chongqing, China
- 2013. Dazibao. Ningbo Museum of Art. Ningbo, China
- 2013. Of the Ordinary. Visual Studies Workshop. Rochester, NY
- 2013. Pictured Past Future Perfect. Online Exhibition.
- 2012. Art for ALS. Site 109. New York, NY
- 2011. PCP. Gallery R. Rochester, NY
- 2011. Paris-Bosnia-Croatia. The Hungerford. Rochester, NY
- 2010. Convergence. Cobblestone Contemporary Art Space. Rochester, NY
- 2010. The Constructed Moment. The Hungerford. Rochester, NY
- 2010. Twenty-Five. Visual Studies Workshop. Rochester, NY
- Brooklyn Museum of Art Library. Brooklyn, NY
- Thomas J. Watson Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University
- Columbia College Chicago Library. Chicago, IL
- Visual Studies Workshop Research Center. Rochester, NY
- University of Rochester Library. Rochester, NY
- Mills College of Art Library. Oakland, CA
- Fleet Library at Rhode Island School of Design. Providence, RI
- Philadelphia Photo Arts Center. Philadelphia, PA
- Decker Library at Maryland Institute College of Art. Baltimore, MD
- Langson Library at University of California-Irvine. Irvine, CA
- Vernon R. Aldon Library at Ohio University. Athens, OH.
- Memorial Library at University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, WI
- Godine Library at Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Boston, MA
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design Library. Minneapolis, MN
- Scott Library at York University. Toronto, CA
- Franklin & Marshall College Library. Lancaster, PA
- John D Rockefeller Jr. Library at Brown University. Providence, RI
- Lindoe Library at Alberta College of Art + Design. Calgary, Canada
- Seattle Art Museum Library. Seattle, WA
- Athenaeum Music & Arts Library. Artists’ Book Collection. La Jolla, CA
- Franklin Furnace Artists’ Books Collection, New York, NY
- Menschel Library at the George Eastman Museum, Rochester, NY
- Marquand Library at Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Indie Photobook Library. Washington D.C.