Gregory Eddi Jones (b. 1986, Syracuse, NY) is an American artist, writer, and publisher who lives and works in Philadelphia, PA. He holds a BFA from Rochester Institute of Technology (2010) and an MFA from Visual Studies Workshop (2016).
Jones' work explores the politics of common cultural images through the mechanisms of digital and internet-based tools. Much of his practice is defined by appropriation and re-authorship as a vehicle for visual criticism. His work has led him to explore a wide range of subject matter, including sports, news broadcasting, advertising, crime photography, history, war, surveillance, "selfies," terrorism, landscape, and flowers.
Jones' work has been exhibited at Site 109 in New York City, Strange Neighbour Gallery in Melbourne, Australia, Ningbo Museum of Art in Zhejiang Province, China, The Organhaus in Chongqing, China, and most recently in Currents 2018 New Media Festival in Santa Fe, NM.
Jones' first book, Another Twenty-Six Gas Stations, was self-published in October, 2014 and has gone on to be acquired by over two dozen institutional artists' book and photobook collections, including libraries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, RISD, MassArt, MICA and Columbia University. The title was also included in two iterations of the exhibition Ed Ruscha: Books & Co, at Gagosian Gallery Paris and Beverly Hills, respectively,
Most recently, Jones was named a 2018 FOAM Talent for his series Flowers for donald. The accompanying exhibition will travel to San Francisco, New York, London, and Frankfurt in 2019. The series was published as a limited edition artists' book in spring of 2018 by Urbanautica Institute, and will be self-published in an expanded 2nd edition in December 2018.
Jones is also the founding editor of In the In-Between: Journal of New and New Media Photography, an independent publishing platform that highlights and supports noteworthy, forward-thinking 21st-century photographic authors and authorship.
- 2018. Currents 2018, New Media Festival. Santa Fe, NM.
- 2017. Year in Reverse. Humble Arts Foundation. Online Exhibition
- 2017. Alternative Facts. Humble Arts Foundation. Online Exhibition
- 2016. Ed Ruscha Books & Co. Gagosian Gallery. Beverly Hills, CA
- 2016. Ink and Paper. Main Street Arts Gallery. Clifton Springs, NY
- 2015. Ed Ruscha Books & Co. Gagosian Gallery. Paris, France
- 2013. Embedded. Strange Neighbour Gallery. Melbourne, Australia
- 2013. Dazibao. The Organ House. Chongqing, China
- 2013. Dazibao. Ningbo Museum of Art. Ningbo, China
- 2013. Of the Ordinary. Visual Studies Workshop. Rochester, NY
- 2013. Pictured Past Future Perfect. Online Exhibition.
- 2012. Art for ALS. Site 109. New York, NY
- 2011. PCP. Gallery R. Rochester, NY
- 2011. Paris-Bosnia-Croatia. The Hungerford. Rochester, NY
- 2010. Convergence. Cobblestone Contemporary Art Space. Rochester, NY
- 2010. The Constructed Moment. The Hungerford. Rochester, NY
- 2010. Twenty-Five. Visual Studies Workshop. Rochester, NY
- Artisan Works.Rochester, NY.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art Library. Brooklyn, NY
- Visual Studies Workshop Research Center. Rochester, NY
- University of Rochester Library. Rochester, NY
- Indie Photobook Library. Washington D.C.
- Mills College of Art Library. Oakland, CA
- Fleet Library at Rhode Island School of Design. Providence, RI
- Philadelphia Photo Arts Center. Philadelphia, PA
- Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University
- Decker Library at Maryland Institute College of Art. Baltimore, MD
- Langson Library at University of California-Irvine. Irvine, CA
- Vernon R. Aldon Library at Ohio University. Athens, OH.
- Memorial Library at University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, WI
- Godine Library at Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Boston, MA
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design Library. Minneapolis, MN
- Scott Library at York University. Toronto, CA
- Franklin & Marshall College Library. Lancaster, PA
- Columbia College Chicago Library. Chicago, IL
- John D Rockefeller Jr. Library at Brown University. Providence, RI
- Lindoe Library at Alberta College of Art + Design. Calgary, Canada
- Seattle Art Museum Library. Seattle, WA
- Athenaeum Music & Arts Library. Artists’ Book Collection. La Jolla, CA
- Franklin Furnace Artists’ Books Collection, New York, NY
- Thomas J. Watson Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Menschel Library at the George Eastman Museum, Rochester, NY
- Marquand Library at Princeton University, Princeton, NJ